- Who can host a screening?
- What kind of venue can I use?
- What kind of experience do I need?
- When can I screen the film?
- What sort of license do I need?
- Do you have a license agreement that I can review?
- Can I charge admission?
- I'm a film maker interested in working with ro*co films. How do I submit a film for consideration?
- Why are the films you distribute so expensive? What are public performance rights?
- What is your replacement policy?
- Are your DVDs & DVD-Rs region encoded? Are they PAL or NTSC?
- The DVD I received suffers from skips, freezes or other issues, what should I do?
- Do you offer streaming rights?
Anyone and everyone.
As long as the screening is not in a commercial theater, you are free to host your event at the venue of your choice! These include museums, libraries, schools, community centers, churches, corporations, parks, etc.
Absolutely no experience necessary. All you need is a venue and an audience, no matter how big or small. And remember that most of these films have ongoing marketing campaigns and press buzz already running, so this will help drive people to your screening.
As soon as you receive the DVD, you can host a screening whenever you like! And because the screening license is unlimited, you can show the film over and over again (at the same venue).
In order to show a film anywhere outside of your home, you must purchase and own public performance rights. The good news is that our DVDs include all necessary licensing, so once purchased, you are good to go!
Yes. Here is our standard license agreement. Please note that licensing restrictions may vary by title, so please contact Kristin Cooney directly at 415.332.6471 x204 or email@example.com to discuss specific circumstances:
LICENSE AGREEMENT _____________________________________
AGREEMENT between ro*co films educational (hereinafter “ro*co”) and the customer (“Customer”) named on the front side of the Order Confirmation, and Invoice between Ro*co and Customer (“Invoice”), wherein ro*co grants Customer and Customer accepts from ro*co the limited license to exhibit the programs identified on the front side of the Invoice (the “Program” or “Programs”) in accordance with the following terms and conditions.
Customer agrees to these terms and conditions by accepting delivery of any Program from ro*co. Customer acknowledges that the Programs may not be utilized in any manner other than as specified herein. With the exception of public libraries lending programs to their authorized cardholders, and schools lending programs to students and their families, CUSTOMER SHALL NOT DISTRIBUTE, TRANSFER, SUBLICENSE, SUBLEASE, RENT, SELL OR OTHERWISE PART WITH THE POSSESSION OF THE PROGRAMS secured by Customer hereunder to any third parties. Nor may any fund- raising use of the Programs be made without previous written authorization from ro*co. Nothing herein shall derogate from any rights of ro*co or any other copyright proprietor(s) of the Programs under the United States Copyright Law.
1. RIGHTS. For the Program price identified on the front side of the Invoice, Customer has the right to exhibit the Programs to a limited number of viewers in a non-theatrical setting (outside of a commercial theater) where all viewers, projector, or monitor(s) and playback unit are in the same room (“in-room use”). Such exhibition shall be in accordance with the Arrangement indicated on the front side of the Invoice and during the period applicable thereto. CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE PROGRAMS MAY NOT BE DUPLICATED, DIGITIZED OR TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER MEDIUM OR FORMAT, BROADCAST, TRANSMITTED BY CABLE, OR OTHERWISE TRANSMITTED, ON ANY MULTI-RECEIVER OR CLOSED CIRCUIT SYSTEM, unless otherwise specified herein or agreed to by ro*co in writing.
a. Purchase. “Purchase” shall mean the release of the Programs by ro*co to Customer for use during the life of the exact DVD or other medium delivered by ro*co to Customer. The term “Purchase” as used herein means only the right and license for Customer to use and reuse the Programs without limitation as to the number of uses or reuses, but without any change in ownership or title and otherwise subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
3. PAYMENTS. Customer shall pay to ro*co at the address noted below the following sums in the manner and at the times specified, time being of the essence for all such payments.
a. The price for the Programs as set forth on the front of the Invoice, and
b. Any and all taxes, fees, or other like charges billed against ro*co and imposed, levied, or assessed upon the delivery, possession, exhibition, or any use of the Program, upon the grant or exercise of any rights hereunder, or upon the sum payable by Customer to ro*co pursuant hereto, if any, and
4. TERM OF AGREEMENT. The term of this Agreement with regard to each of the Programs shall commence as of the date each Program is delivered to Customer and shall continue for the life of the Program.
5. DELIVERY. ro*co will use reasonable efforts to mail or ship the Programs to Customer in the time normally required for the Programs to reach Customer by the “Play Date,” as confirmed by Ro*co. The Program shall be deemed in satisfactory condition for exhibition unless Customer immediately after inspection thereof notifies Ro*co to the contrary specifying the nature of the defect. Ro*co shall not be in breach of the Agreement for failure to deliver any of the Programs by the “Play Date” and shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages.
6. ALTERATIONS. Customer shall exhibit each Program in its entirety only. Customer shall not cut or alter the Programs or otherwise tamper therewith and in no event shall the Programs be exhibited without the complete copyright notices and/or credits contained therein.
7. WARRANTIES OR REMEDIES. ro*co warrants that each Program shall be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of delivery. In the event of ro*co’s breach of such warranty, Customer’s exclusive remedies shall be that Ro*co will replace the defective Program(s). NO OTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE AND NONINFRINGEMENT SHALL APPLY TO ANY PROGRAM HEREUNDER. ro*co shall have no other liability and Customer shall have no other remedy, except as specifically provided in this Paragraph; and in no event shall ro*co be liable for any consequential damages. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall apply to any replacement Program(s) furnished.
8. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS. Legal title to the Programs shall at all times remain in ro*co and all rights therein (except those granted herein) are specifically reserved to ro*co.
9. DEFAULT. If Customer defaults hereunder:
a. ro*co, in addition to other remedies, may repossess any Program previously delivered hereunder; and/or
b. ro*co may refuse to take any further orders from Customer and may refuse to make
further shipment of Programs to Customer; and/or c. Customer agrees to pay ro*co’s costs and expenses of collection and/or repossession including the maximum attorney’s fees allowed by law.
10. ASSIGNMENT. This Agreement shall not be assignable by Customer, and any such assignment shall be null and void.
11. COMPLETE AGREEMENT. This Agreement sets forth the entire and complete agreement and understanding between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements or understandings, written or unwritten. By accepting delivery of the film on DVD, digital tape, or any other medium from ro*co, the Customer acknowledges that it has read this contract, understood its terms, and has voluntarily accepted its provisions. This agreement shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of California as such laws are applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents, without giving effect to principles of conflicts of law. Each party agrees to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Marin County, California.
The licensing associated with our DVDs allows you to charge a nominal ticket price (under $20/ticket) as a way to recoup the cost of hosting the event. Our DVDs can not be used for fundraisers. If you would like to use one of our films for a fundraising event, please contact Kristin Cooney direct at Kristin@rocofilms.com or 415.332.6478 x204.
Filmmakers and producers who wish to have their films considered for distribution by ro*co films are encouraged to send a description of the film via email to Kristin Cooney, who handles all acquisitions. Please include in your correspondence links to your film's website, photo galleries, or online trailer, if available.
Contact information for Kristin is as follows:
PH: (415) 332-6471 x204
FX: (415) 332-6798
If we find your film to be a good fit for our collection, Kristin will then ask you to forward a screener copy and a press-kit. The evaluation process takes about one month.
ro*co films educational handles educational and non-theatrical distribution, as opposed to consumer DVD or home video distribution. Our programs come with public performance rights, which is the right to show the film in a public setting. This does NOT include the right to show the film on television or online, only the right to show the film in public to any audience where the projector and audience are in the same room.
Our main customers are educational institutions who will use the film within the campus community for years. Unlike textbooks, faculty and teachers seldom assign DVDs for their students to buy. When you buy these programs, remember that a good portion of the price is returned to the producer in royalties, helping them to recoup production costs and/or invest in new projects.
We do offer reduced rates to grass roots groups and other organizations with small audiences and smaller budgets. If the price listed is outside your budget range, please call us at 415.332.6471 x204 to discuss your circumstances.
Ro*co films will replace any damaged, stolen or misplaced DVD at a 50% discounted rate. This warranty applies as long as the program is offered for sale. Please notify us of the circumstances. In the case of defective media, ro*co films will almost always replace the item free of charge.
ro*co films DVDs are formatted to be ALL-REGION, so they should play perfectly fine on DVD players around the world.
We want to make sure that your have a wonderful and successful viewing experience, so please inform us of any problems you experience when watching our films on DVD. We do recommend that before contacting ro*co films about viewing issues, you take the following steps:
1. Research the DVD player model you are using to identify any compatibility issues that could be responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
2. If you are playing the DVD on a computer, try using a different software program.
3. Carefully examine the data (non-label) side of the disc. Often times gently wiping the surface of the disc with a clean soft cloth or rag can remove minor dirt from the disc surface and correct the problem.
4. If there are fingerprint marks on the CD surface, dip a soft cloth in rubbing alcohol or water and gently wipe the surface.
If you still experience poor playback, make a note of what type of playback error you experienced and where on the disc it occurred (supplying the timecode info from your DVD player display is best) and contact ro*co films by phone or email. In most cases we will immediately replace the title free-of-charge or offer a refund if the customer so desires.
We are currently offering 1 and 3 year streaming subscriptions for our collection through our new digital portal, Film Platform. Similar to other streaming providers, we use your IP Address, proxy server, etc to create a custom streaming page for your university. From there you can embed the streaming page into your library system (we provide MARC records), course webpages, etc.
All Film Platform content is EXCLUSIVE, meaning you will never find one of our titles being offered on another EVOD platform.
We are offering a number of different pricing models, to find a solution that suits each different institution. These include:
- A la Carte purchases of individual titles (a great option if you are only interested in one or two titles)
- Collection subscriptions (with significant pricing reductions for multiple titles)
- Patron Driven Acquisitions (whereby you only pay for what is actually used)
Here’s a short demo of the platform, using another one of our popular titles (A Place at the Table) as an example of how each title on Film Platform can be accessed, used, shared, and featured on your campus.
For a single title, pricing is as follows:
1 Year Streaming License: $225
3 Year Streaming License: $375