ro*co educationalro*co films is a leader in the documentary distribution world, with an educational division aimed at bringing these compelling real-life stories to schools, libraries, and other instructional environments across the country. In addition, ro*co broadens the impact and influence of our films by mobilizing communities to host, organize, and execute their own educational screening events.
A leader in the documentary distribution world, ro*co films understands that a compelling real-life story can educate, entertain, and engage diverse audiences around emotionally gripping, universally important themes.
A growing division of ro*co films international, ro*co educational launched in 2009 with the mission to advocate for documentary film as an educational tool, to bring these stories to schools, libraries, and other instructional environments across the country, and to broaden the impact and influence of our films by mobilizing communities to host, organize, and execute their own public screening events. Whether you are striving to illuminate a topic or issue, create change, or simply start a conversation, showing a compelling film is the best way to do it.
The films represented by ro*co educational are inspiring, provocative, and challenging —connecting us to human experiences well beyond the boundaries of our own.
Kristin Cooney is Managing Director of ro*co films educational.
Along with managing all operations associated with educational and semi-theatrical sales and distribution, Kristin works closely with universities, libraries, non-profit organizations, corporations, and various other institutions to execute screenings and events, enhance curriculum, promote acquisitions, and to broaden the use and impact of documentary film.
Kristin joined ro*co in 2009 with a professional background in market analysis, advertising, and research psychology. Kristin holds a BA is Sociology from UCLA and a Master's degree in Counseling Psychology.
Kristin lives in Marin County with her husband and two children.
Dana Clark is the Director of Operations at ro*co films educational.
Dana oversees and executes all business operations, which includes fulfillment and shipping, inventory management, customer service, client relations and generally supporting the educational division as needed. She also researches and analyzes the needs of universities and other educational institutions to best match their needs with ro*co’s outstanding films and customized services.
Dana joined the ro*co team in 2011 after an extended time raising her children and acting as a lead school volunteer. She came to ro*co with a professional background as a senior purchasing agent and contracts specialist. Dana holds a BA in Organizational Communication with a Business minor from Chico State University.
“I couldn’t be happier to be working with such a dynamic team that assists in providing inspiring and entertaining documentary films to audiences worldwide.”
EDUCATEWe know that a compelling story is powerful educational tool – tackling intellectual topics through the lens of a character-driven, factual narrative can leave a lasting imprint on the mind, while also being a catalyst for debate and discussion
We have designed our educational DVDs to be simple and easy to use in your classroom. Whenever possible, multiple versions of the film are included on one disc (feature-length and one-hour versions for shorter class periods), the content is specifically chaptered to allow for the use of smaller video segments during class, and bonus features are added where appropriate.
Most of our films - while wonderful educational resources on their own – also include comprehensive Educator’s Supplements that include activities, discussion questions, and valuable outlets for further information. For many educators, these resources help guide the implementation of our films into their existing curriculums and also help to establish the foundation for creating an entirely new curriculum around the topic featured in the film
Take a look at some samples below (click to view in full size):
Many of our films are also used for employee workshops, faculty & staff meetings/ in-services, and other forms of professional development. Many of the Educator’s Supplements have been designed with this in mind, and include discussion questions, activities, and valuable resources for this type of usage as well. Use our films in your classroom, workshop, or library today!
Here’s how it works:
Pick a film. Browse our catalogue
Decide which version you need, based on how the film will be used:
K-12 Classroom Use:
At the cost of $95, this version includes the DVD, supplemental educational resources (either sent physically with the DVD or as a pdf via email). When available, this version will also include multiple versions of the film and/or customized chapters for easy classroom use. This is the standard pricing, but some of our titles may cost a bit more or a bit less. Note: This version is ONLY to be used in a small K12 classroom setting. If you would like to use the film for a presentation to the entire school, or for a screening where parents, faculty, administrators and/or members of the community are invited, then a public performance license is required and you will need to purchase the University/Public Performance version described below.
University & Public Performance Use:
At the cost of $295, this version is to be used in all other educational settings, including college classrooms, campus screenings, employee workshops, and PTA presentations. While the content on this version is the same as the K12 version (DVD, supplemental materials, etc), the higher price is due to the fact that this version includes public performance rights. For more information about public performance rights and hosting a screening, visit our host a screening page.
If you are from a public or school library, the version that you need will vary depending on how you wish to use the film. If you simply would like to put the DVD into circulation for patrons to view in their homes, then you may absolutely purchase the $95 version. However, if you are planning a public screening of the film, or if you would like to ensure that various professors, student groups, clubs, etc are able to host screenings in the future, then you will need to purchase the University & Public Performance Use version at the $295 price.
Make your purchase!
Online payment using a credit card is the easiest, but we also accept purchase orders, checks, and even wire transfers. For more order information, click here
Have more questions? Take a look at our FAQ page here
ENGAGEro*co films is a leader in the documentary distribution world, with an educational division aimed at bringing these compelling real-life stories to schools, libraries, and other instructional environments across the country. In addition, ro*co broadens the impact and influence of our films by mobilizing communities to host, organize, and execute their own educational screening events.
FAQro*co films is a leader in the documentary distribution world, with an educational division aimed at bringing these compelling real-life stories to schools, libraries, and other instructional environments across the country. In addition, ro*co broadens the impact and influence of our films by mobilizing communities to host, organize, and execute their own educational screening events.
Who can host a screening?
A: Anyone and everyone.
What kind of venue can I use?
A: As long as the screening is not in a commercial theater, you are free to host your event at the venue of your choice! These include museums, libraries, schools, community centers, churches, corporations, parks, etc.
What kind of experience do I need?
A: Absolutely no experience necessary. All you need is a venue and an audience, no matter how big or small. And remember that most of these films have ongoing marketing campaigns and press buzz already running, so this will help drive people to your screening.
When can I screen the film?
A: As soon as you receive the DVD, you can host a screening whenever you like! And because the screening license is unlimited, you can show the film over and over again (at the same venue).
What sort of license do I need?
A: In order to show a film anywhere outside of your home, you must purchase and own public performance rights. The good news is that our DVDs include all necessary licensing, so once purchased, you are good to go!
Do you have a license agreement that I can review?
A: Yes. Here is our standard license agreement. Please note that licensing restrictions may vary by title, so please contact Kristin Cooney directly at 415.332.6471 x204 or email@example.com to discuss specific circumstances:
AGREEMENT between ro*co films educational (hereinafter “ro*co”) and the customer (“Customer”) named on the front side of the Order Confirmation, and Invoice between Ro*co and Customer (“Invoice”), wherein ro*co grants Customer and Customer accepts from ro*co the limited license to exhibit the programs identified on the front side of the Invoice (the “Program” or “Programs”) in accordance with the following terms and conditions.
Customer agrees to these terms and conditions by accepting delivery of any Program from ro*co. Customer acknowledges that the Programs may not be utilized in any manner other than as specified herein. With the exception of public libraries lending programs to their authorized cardholders, and schools lending programs to students and their families, CUSTOMER SHALL NOT DISTRIBUTE, TRANSFER, SUBLICENSE, SUBLEASE, RENT, SELL OR OTHERWISE PART WITH THE POSSESSION OF THE PROGRAMS secured by Customer hereunder to any third parties. Nor may any fund- raising use of the Programs be made without previous written authorization from ro*co. Nothing herein shall derogate from any rights of ro*co or any other copyright proprietor(s) of the Programs under the United States Copyright Law.
1. RIGHTS. For the Program price identified on the front side of the Invoice, Customer has the right to exhibit the Programs to a limited number of viewers in a non-theatrical setting (outside of a commercial theater) where all viewers, projector, or monitor(s) and playback unit are in the same room (“in-room use”). Such exhibition shall be in accordance with the Arrangement indicated on the front side of the Invoice and during the period applicable thereto. CUSTOMER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE PROGRAMS MAY NOT BE DUPLICATED, DIGITIZED OR TRANSFERRED TO ANY OTHER MEDIUM OR FORMAT, BROADCAST, TRANSMITTED BY CABLE, OR OTHERWISE TRANSMITTED, ON ANY MULTI-RECEIVER OR CLOSED CIRCUIT SYSTEM, unless otherwise specified herein or agreed to by ro*co in writing.
a. Purchase. “Purchase” shall mean the release of the Programs by ro*co to Customer for use during the life of the exact DVD or other medium delivered by ro*co to Customer. The term “Purchase” as used herein means only the right and license for Customer to use and reuse the Programs without limitation as to the number of uses or reuses, but without any change in ownership or title and otherwise subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
3. PAYMENTS. Customer shall pay to ro*co at the address noted below the following sums in the manner and at the times specified, time being of the essence for all such payments.
a. The price for the Programs as set forth on the front of the Invoice, and
b. Any and all taxes, fees, or other like charges billed against ro*co and imposed, levied, or assessed upon the delivery, possession, exhibition, or any use of the Program, upon the grant or exercise of any rights hereunder, or upon the sum payable by Customer to ro*co pursuant hereto, if any, and
4. TERM OF AGREEMENT. The term of this Agreement with regard to each of the Programs shall commence as of the date each Program is delivered to Customer and shall continue for the life of the Program.
5. DELIVERY. ro*co will use reasonable efforts to mail or ship the Programs to Customer in the time normally required for the Programs to reach Customer by the “Play Date,” as confirmed by Ro*co. The Program shall be deemed in satisfactory condition for exhibition unless Customer immediately after inspection thereof notifies Ro*co to the contrary specifying the nature of the defect. Ro*co shall not be in breach of the Agreement for failure to deliver any of the Programs by the “Play Date” and shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages.
6. ALTERATIONS. Customer shall exhibit each Program in its entirety only. Customer shall not cut or alter the Programs or otherwise tamper therewith and in no event shall the Programs be exhibited without the complete copyright notices and/or credits contained therein.
7. WARRANTIES OR REMEDIES. ro*co warrants that each Program shall be free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of delivery. In the event of ro*co’s breach of such warranty, Customer’s exclusive remedies shall be that Ro*co will replace the defective Program(s). NO OTHER WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE AND NONINFRINGEMENT SHALL APPLY TO ANY PROGRAM HEREUNDER. ro*co shall have no other liability and Customer shall have no other remedy, except as specifically provided in this Paragraph; and in no event shall ro*co be liable for any consequential damages. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall apply to any replacement Program(s) furnished.
8. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS. Legal title to the Programs shall at all times remain in ro*co and all rights therein (except those granted herein) are specifically reserved to ro*co.
9. DEFAULT. If Customer defaults hereunder:
a. ro*co, in addition to other remedies, may repossess any Program previously delivered hereunder; and/or
b. ro*co may refuse to take any further orders from Customer and may refuse to make
further shipment of Programs to Customer; and/or c. Customer agrees to pay ro*co’s costs and expenses of collection and/or repossession including the maximum attorney’s fees allowed by law.
10. ASSIGNMENT. This Agreement shall not be assignable by Customer, and any such assignment shall be null and void.
11. COMPLETE AGREEMENT. This Agreement sets forth the entire and complete agreement and understanding between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements or understandings, written or unwritten. By accepting delivery of the film on DVD, digital tape, or any other medium from ro*co, the Customer acknowledges that it has read this contract, understood its terms, and has voluntarily accepted its provisions. This agreement shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of California as such laws are applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents, without giving effect to principles of conflicts of law. Each party agrees to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Marin County, California.
Can I charge admission?
A: The licensing associated with our DVDs allows you to charge a nominal ticket price (under $20/ticket) as a way to recoup the cost of hosting the event. Our DVDs can not be used for fundraisers. If you would like to use one of our films for a fundraising event, please contact Kristin Cooney direct at Kristin@rocofilms.com or 415.332.6478 x204.
I'm a film maker interested in working with ro*co films. How do I submit a film for consideration?
A: Filmmakers and producers who wish to have their films considered for distribution by ro*co films are encouraged to send a description of the film via email to Kristin Cooney, who handles all acquisitions. Please include in your correspondence links to your film's website, photo galleries, or online trailer, if available.
Contact information for Kristin is as follows:
PH: (415) 332-6471 x204
FX: (415) 332-6798
If we find your film to be a good fit for our collection, Kristin will then ask you to forward a screener copy and a press-kit. The evaluation process takes about one month.
Why are the films you distribute so expensive? What are public performance rights?
A: ro*co films educational handles educational and non-theatrical distribution, as opposed to consumer DVD or home video distribution. Our programs come with public performance rights, which is the right to show the film in a public setting. This does NOT include the right to show the film on television or online, only the right to show the film in public to any audience where the projector and audience are in the same room.
Our main customers are educational institutions who will use the film within the campus community for years. Unlike textbooks, faculty and teachers seldom assign DVDs for their students to buy. When you buy these programs, remember that a good portion of the price is returned to the producer in royalties, helping them to recoup production costs and/or invest in new projects.
We do offer reduced rates to nonprofit and grassroots groups. If the price listed is outside your budget range, please call us at 415.332.6471 x204 to discuss your circumstances.
What is your replacement policy?
A: Ro*co films will replace any damaged, stolen or misplaced DVD at a discounted rate. This warranty applies as long as the program is offered for sale. Please notify us of the circumstances. In the case of defective media, ro*co films will almost always replace the item free of charge.
Are your DVDs & DVD-Rs region encoded? Are they PAL or NTSC?
A: ro*co films DVDs are formatted to be ALL-REGION, so they should play perfectly fine on DVD players around the world.
The DVD I received suffers from skips, freezes or other issues, what should I do?
A: We want to make sure that your have a wonderful and successful viewing experience, so please inform us of any problems you experience when watching our films on DVD. We do recommend that before contacting ro*co films about viewing issues, you take the following steps:
1. Research the DVD player model you are using to identify any compatibility issues that could be responsible for the problems you are experiencing.
2. If you are playing the DVD on a computer, try using a different software program.
3. Carefully examine the data (non-label) side of the disc. Often times gently wiping the surface of the disc with a clean soft cloth or rag can remove minor dirt from the disc surface and correct the problem.
4. If there are fingerprint marks on the CD surface, dip a soft cloth in rubbing alcohol or water and gently wipe the surface.
If you still experience poor playback, make a note of what type of playback error you experienced and where on the disc it occurred (supplying the timecode info from your DVD player display is best) and contact ro*co films by phone or email. In most cases we will immediately replace the title free-of-charge.
Do you offer streaming rights?
A: We are currently offering 1 and 3 year streaming subscriptions for our collection through our new digital portal, Film Platform. Similar to other streaming providers, we use your IP Address, proxy server, etc to create a custom streaming page for your university. From there you can embed the streaming page into your library system (we provide MARC records), course webpages, etc.
All Film Platform content is EXCLUSIVE, meaning you will never find one of our titles being offered on another EVOD platform.
We are offering a number of different pricing models, to find a solution that suits each different institution. These include:
- A la Carte purchases of individual titles (a great option if you are only interested in one or two titles)
- Collection subscriptions (with significant pricing reductions for multiple titles)
- Patron Driven Acquisitions (whereby you only pay for what is actually used)
Here’s a short demo of the platform, using another one of our popular titles (A Place at the Table) as an example of how each title on Film Platform can be accessed, used, shared, and featured on your campus.
For a single title, pricing is as follows:
1 Year Streaming License: $225
3 Year Streaming License: $375
ORDER BY MAIL, FAX OR PHONE
Order online from our any of the titles pages & check out using the shopping cart icon at the top of the each page.
ORDER BY MAIL, FAX OR PHONE
Feel free to call us to place an order at (415) 332-6471 x204, or you can download our blank order form (PDF) to fill out by hand and fax or mail it directly to us.
Mail: ro*co films educational, 80 Liberty Ship Way, Suite 8, Sausalito, CA 94965
Fax: (415) 332-6798
To purchase a film with a Purchase Order, you need to e-mail, mail or fax your PO number WITH the contact information for your accounting or purchase order department in case we need to reach them.
Prices are for non-theatrical, non-television use only. Customers must pre-pay by check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express accepted) or send an authorized purchase order. Terms are NET 30 days.All prices are subject to change without notice.
Note: When you buy these programs, remember that a good portion of the price is returned to the producer in royalties, helping them to recoup production costs and/or invest in a new project. If the price listed is outside your range, please call us at (415) 332-6471 x204 to explain your circumstances.
Sales Tax: We are required to collect sales tax in California. If your organization is tax exempt, please provide the appropriate documentation.
Shipping charges depend on the total cost of your order and where you are shipping to. We ship by First Class Mail, Priority Mail or UPS. Normally, you will receive your order within two to three weeks. If you need quicker service, we can ship by expedited means.
Shipping charges will depend on how you want the program(s) shipped: by air mail, surface mail, or by courier.
Contact us directly for more information.
Public performance rights
A "public performance" is any performance of a DVD which occurs outside of the home, or at any place where people are gathered who are not family members, such as in a school or library. In most cases films sold by video and retail outlets are restricted to home use only and do not include public performance rights.
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
All sales are final. While we are unable to offer a refund, we are always happy to offer an exchange for another title in our collection.